Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mental Hospital
I wouldn’t say that I know this would come under the idea of CAS, as there is no authorisation for this service that I am engaged in. but, I feel that it is worth mentioning in this blog.
During the mid-term break, I, along with four otherstudents from OSC, visited Mama and Papa’s Centre for Mentally disabled Children. I must say, it was one of the most inspirational and touching moments of my life. It took and an hour’s drive to finally arrive at the place when we finally entered a completely different atmosphere. Well, it was a mental hospital, I really woulnt be used to it. 
The kids there were disillusioned, some of them would bite themselves until they would cry, others would stare into space, others wouldn’t even talk. But they would express themselves in different ways, drawing, painting, coloring, building blocks. This was what we were there for. We played with them and colored with them and taught them where to color and what the coloring lines were for, we took them on walks and pushed them on swings… and they smiled and laughed and it was utterly inspirational.
However, the conditions tey live in are horrific. Sleeping in metal cots without matresses or cushioning because they cannot control urinating on the place they bed. Their faeces dropped all over the floor where the cleaners have to clean without any proper cleaning equiptment. Old worn out clothes. No coloring book, pens pencils or even paper. Do they deserve more? Of course they do.
I had made a video that is being sent out on facebook and youtube, for whomever who is in Sri Lanka to know that this place… is in need of help. This coming Wednesday, the other students and I are going to show it to the whole school so that we could raise funds to buy the things listed above and to support them…

No comments:

Post a Comment