Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

End of SAISA football... KICK IT LADY GECKOS!



Another glorious ending to a SAISA season.
Football was something I had never thought i would play in a million years. I absolutely disgusted the sport. Its not fast, not interesting. When, again… i stand corrected.  Undertaking a new challenge had taught me that my opininos chan change about anything if I just try it. IT WAS AMAZING.
I was the goalie for the SAISA girls football team and it was one of the most memorable moments of my life. The time I saved a goal and the time i let one in; oh the pressure, the exhilaration, the adrenaline.
We had played many local matches before the SAISA tournament, and this had enabled me to get closer to my team. One of the guiding questions the IB had set for CAS was “is it a real task that i am going to undertake?”
Honestly, my answer used to be: NO! I was doing it because no one else would do it. But then, I grew with my team. We shared experienced and struggles, we bore each others burdens and set them out on the field and one thing you had to bear while you are goalie… is that you are the last and final support of the team. This was probably the hardest part of the whole thing. Sure i can catch a football kicked so hard that my hand would probably get sprained, sure i can dive at people’s feet when they come charging at me with the ball and risk being kicked… I can deal with the pain… i really can. It just the excruciating pressure than one is put on when you just wait there on the other side of the field watching everything that is going on… not knowing when the ball is going to come at you, not forgetting to mention, your team depending on the last person to stop the ball. Yep. That was me. That was the job i had signed up for.Trying to develop a new skill so that I could work collaboratively with others. 

Oh… and we got the SILVER medal. But that not that important anyways… by trying out something new… I have learned so much more. Now… THATS what’s important.

No comments:

Post a Comment